Fragments from the History of Civil Aviation in Lebanon. Part IV, section 2b. The inauguration of Beirut Airport

Two marble plates, two iron structures.
Courtesy of Nada Habis Assi
 
Commissioned for the book published at the occasion of the exhibition Cycles of Collapsing Progress, Tripoli, 2018, curated by Karina el-Helou with the collaboration of Anissa Touati.


Fragments de l'histoire de l'aviation civile au Liban. Partie IV, section 2b. Inauguration de l'aérodrome de Beyrouth

Deux plaques de marbre, deux structures en fer. Courtesy de Nada Habis Assi

Commandée pour l'ouvrage accompagnant l'exposition Cycles of Collapsing Progress, Tripoli, 2018. Commissariat: Karina el-Helou avec la collaboration d'Anissa Touati.

On June 6, 1939, authorities of the French Mandate in Lebanon and Syria dedicated Beirut’s airport. Built on sandy grounds in the southern outskirts of the city, it was equipped with a passenger terminal, air sheds and a control tower.After World War II, as the development of air transport required larger structures, a newer airport was to be built in Khaldeh. In order to ensure its funding, the government decided to parcel out the grounds of the first airport on the real estate market. In consequence, after the opening of the new Beirut International Airport, on April 12, 1954, the previous one was immediately demolished. The commemorative plaque was dismantled and put aside. Ultimately, the plaque re-emerged, cut in two parts and converted in two table tops, being the only physical remains of Beirut’s first airport.

Inscription: “L’AERODROME DE BEYROUTH / A ETE INAUGURE LE 6 JUIN 1939 / PAR S.E. GABRIEL DE PUAUX / AMBASSADEUR DE FRANCE / HAUT COMMISSAIRE DE LA REPUBLIQUE FRANÇAISE / EN SYRIE ET AU LIBAN / S.E. EMILE EDDE / ETANT PRESIDENT DE LA REPUBLIQUE LIBANAISE / EN PRESENCE DE MONSIEUR ORTLIEB / DIRECTEUR DE L’AERONAUTIQUE AU MINISTERE DE L’AIR / REPRESENTANT MONSIEUR GUY LA CHAMBRE / MINISTRE DE L’AIR DU GOUVERNEMENT FRANÇAIS”. 

Le 6 juin 1939, les autorités mandataires françaises au Liban et en Syrie ont inauguré l’aérodrome de Beyrouth. Édifié sur des terrains sablonneux au sud de la ville, il était doté d’un terminal de passagers, de hangars et d’une tour de contrôle. Après la Seconde guerre mondiale, le développement du transport aérien exigeant de plus vastes structures, un nouvel aéroport fut construit, à Khaldé. Son financement fut assuré en partie par le lotissement et la mise sur le marché des terrains du premier aérodrome. En conséquence, après l’ouverture du nouvel Aéroport International de Beyrouth, le 12 avril 1954, le précédent fut immédiatement démoli. La plaque commémorative fut démantelée et mise de côté. Elle réapparut de manière inopinée, coupée en deux et convertie en deux plans de tables. Il s’agit de l’unique vestige du premier aéroport de Beyrouth.

Publication:
- Cycles of Collapsing Progress, 2018

Related Projects
:
- Leningrad (with François Sargologo and Hanibal Srouji), 2013